Thursday, November 14, 2019

UBUNTU

Today I learned the concept of Ubuntu...

Ubuntu speaks of the very essence of being human
The only way we can ever be human is TOGETHER
The only way we can be free is TOGETHER, connected
If I diminish you, I diminish myself
A person is a person through other people…
We need other human beings in order to be human
I am human because I belong
I am because we are...
My humanity is inextricably bound up in yours
We belong in a bundle of life
We are made for goodness
We are made for love
We are made for friendliness
We are made for togetherness
We are made for all the beautiful things that you and I know
We are made to tell the world that there are no outsiders
All are welcome: black, white, red, yellow, rich, poor, educated, not educated, male, female, gay, straight, all, all, all
We all belong to this family, this human family, God’s family

(From Desmond Tutu's writings on Ubuntu)

What gives us a dignity is not our independence, but rather our interdependence, our ability to participate and share with one another, our vulnerability. We are because of others!

Ubuntu - “I am what I am because of who we all are”

You can find a lot more information online to understand this valuable term.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home